When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Disney animator. I remember watching the behind-the-scenes feature of almost every Disney film, just to get a glimpse of what it would be like to draw castles, princesses, and enchanted forests, for a living! But, I told myself that dream went way over my head! A couple of years later, the movie Jurassic Park came out and I wanted to be a Paleontologist. When I told my father that I wanted to move to Nebraska to study fossils (mind you, I was about 10yrs old), his response was that there wouldn’t be anymore dinosaurs to discover by the time I finished schooling! And one by one, my hopes & dreams blew away like “dust in the wind”.
Here are some of the more common reasons that stop people in their tracks, when it comes to chasing those dreams:
- FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN– Are you pretty comfortable in your little bubble? Do you like taking risks or do you like to play it safe? I admit, I can be a bit of a control freak, so I start to get antsy when I’m in a situation that’s new and unfamiliar. But, there’s nothing more liberating than letting go of those fears and putting one foot in front of the other. “Don’t let the fear of the unknown keep you from experiencing a life greater than you have ever known”- Jeff McClung
- TIMING- “Timing has to be just right.” Will there ever be a “right time” to get married, to have kids, to chase that dream? Yes, we need to put thought into those major life changes, but don’t let time stop you. To be honest, life is known to fly by in the blink of an eye. All the more reason to stop wishing & waiting and go for it!
- PRIORITIES- Let me guess…Life got in the way of your dream and it no longer is a priority. It happens! But, don’t get discouraged. It’s never too late to MAKE that dream a priority. “The only impossible journey is the one you never began”- Tony Robbins
- BAD ADVICE- Having a couple of key people in your life that you can count on for wise advice is a good thing! But, be cautious in asking help and advice from everyone in the town! You know what they say…”Only a few people care, the rest are just curious.”
- FEAR OF FAILING– Any new venture requires an investment of resources: money, time, energy, emotions, etc. The last thing we’d want to happen is to have all that we’ve invested, go up in flames. Suzy Kassem once said, “Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will”.
So, what’s stopping you? Are you brave enough to step out into the unknown?
Can’t quite put your finger on that dream of yours? Here are a couple of questions to get those wheels in your head to start turning: What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? What are you passionate about? What gets your blood boiling?
Start there. But don’t stop. Keep going! It will come to you!